The remnants of sugar hit, that hazy Saturday and Sunday on the Sand
11/03/2014 11:11:00 am
I thought it was touted as probably one of the highlights of
Sugar Hit 2014. I was quite thoroughly disappointed by it all. The famed
Vertical Garden by the chefs at Signorelli
Gastronomia did not seem to wow as much as I thought it would and some
aspects of the dessert didn’t quite seem to fit together. Yes, it was visually aesthetic
although the green wafer was probably
more kryptonite than leafy green. I didn’t feel that the chocolate soil added
much depth and the overpowering flowery-perfume taste of the frozen nougat made
it difficult to taste much else. I did like the pistachios encrusted on the
garden wall and the pretty miniscule fresh flowers too. The berry coulis was
tart and cut through the sweetness and I only wish there was more of it. Put it
this way: the Yalumba dessert wine wasn’t very sweet when accompanied by this
dessert. And that’s saying something.
It wasn’t actually the dessert itself that contributed to my
feeling of disappointment. It was the (and this is my opinion only) way it was
all handled. I guess when we booked, we thought we were really lucky to secure
a table for 8 at 7 PM considering that they advertise for a start of 8 PM. I guess
you make the assumption that they are so busy that they have decided to allow
additional bookings an hour earlier. But we arrived at the restaurant right on
time only to be told by the ever-talkative maître
d that the kitchen was running an hour behind schedule with the desserts
and that not all the servings were ready. At this point, a few questions popped
up in my mind. Our party is here, why can’t you serve the ready portions to us
first? And make up the time in the kitchen as your wait for other guests to
arrive? Surely, you can’t be telling me that your 108+ servings of Sugar Hit
and not one was ready? These items are supposed to be scaleable! So… suspicion set in.
Our [“starving”] party was more than happy to go with the
offered table and enjoy some dinner whilst the kitchen frantically worked on
the desserts (supposedly). And of course, this is probably the game that the
restaurant was playing all along. Because I saw another party of 6 do the exact
same thing (another group of 20-somethings catching up it seemed). Pyrmont isn’t
the greatest location and if you wanted to dine elsewhere, it is the Casino or
back in the city. So a gamble that pays off extravagantly for the restaurant. We
all ordered mains, and a couple of us wines. My calzone with ricotta, ham and
mushroom was bland at best. They don’t offer chilli flakes nor is there salt
and pepper for diners on the table. I realise that some restaurants believe that
their meals should be eaten as is but seasoning is completely up to one’s
individual preference so these condiments should be readily available! The service
was mostly crisp and yet again the talkative Italian waiter was funny and
charming if not borderline brazen. If one was cynical, you could see it as an
act to divert you from all their cunning tactics to have you dine with them? ;)
Anyways, we had a long stay [long to me at least!] at the
restaurant and I think one dessert to share between two would have been more
than enough. They could have free poured the complementary wine a little more
as the glasses weren’t quite standard dessert wine servings and since the wine
was sponsored, it seemed a little stingy.
. . I won’t be back.
Saturday was a bit of a haze. It was a hazy day. It was hot.
It was windy. I was tired. Unbelievably so. My day was broken into bits with
the highlight being going to the fish market and spending an about not too much
more to the amount I spent with Val the weekend before but buying so much more.
Like a whole salmon for sashimi. And tuna, kingfish, oysters and prawns. So good.
Had some family friends over for dinners. Yummo, especially with all that
Margaret River wine! Never thought this would happen again but got invited to
an 18th birthday. Reorganised my supplies for Christmas. Even put
the wreath out already. Not long to go now. . .
Sunday was spent with Jan. We haven’t caught up one on one
in a few months so took the opportunity to go see this year’s Sculptures by the
Sea. I was more interested in the Sea and the Housing. Lol. It was a lovely day
though but a little on the breezy side. And parents with their irritable kids
were out full force. Please keep a tow of your spawn, they should keep to the
left, be quiet, not touch the artworks that say ‘please do not touch’ and walk obediently
alongside mumsy or pops. Not 10 metres behind or 3 metres to their right! We ended
up walking all the way to Bronte and back. Hmm, not sure I’d so it again
though. I am not much of an artistic or creative person so did not understand
very many of the pieces (or did not try to anyway). And definitely not a fan of
crowds. On the bus back, helped a group of American tourists find their way
back to their hotel in the CBD. My good deed for the day was done and with that
my weekend was done too. So so tired.
0 feedback