Productive

11/17/2014 10:00:00 am

There are just some weekends when you do a lot of things, and then feel that you can do more.

This last weekend was one of them. On Saturday, it was our typical brunch date in Surry Hills. It doesn’t happen often that I go to the same café twice within a very close time period but this was just one of those places where I really wanted something off the menu because I saw someone else eating it and it looked really good. And it was. French toast with grilled bananas and maple syrup plus crispy bacon (I actually asked for ‘extra’ crispy but it was just crispy to me). It was even more worthwhile cause I got a parking spot literally on the doorstep on the café. Big win. Chatted a couple of hours away about life, other people, you know that kind of girly gossipy stuff that we all like to indulge in.

I actually had planned to do a fair bit on Saturday and I think I did! I made the batches of white chocolate cake for Leonard’s 18th cake, cooled, sliced, stacked and iced. I made my Christmas jams and burnt my arm in the process (but I swear by Vaseline, the white petroleum jelly kind – swelling gone in a few hours). I was so concerned that the raspberry jam didn’t set as thickly as I like jams to… I guess we’ll see but when I tipped one of the jars over in the morning, it wasn’t runny so that’s a good sign? And I even made my Christmas fruit cake. That took ages mainly because I didn’t have very many of the small cake tins so they had to be done in batches. And the cakes take 80 mins to cook so… there were a few lots of 80 minutes going on. And I was baking into the wee hours of Sunday morning. Whoops, perhaps I should have saved it for another day?

So as you’d expect, it was a bit of a Sunday sleep in and then it was cake decorating time. Ohhh, I’ve waited so long for this moment. The kneading fondant bit actually made me gag (I think it was either the smell of all the sugar or something I ate before) so that was rather unpleasant. But once I had the cakes iced with fondant and the real fun began… it was awesome. It was like thinking of so many things to put on it on the spot and random placing of figurines until they looked good. The cake looked epic and I was really happy with it. Yay.

I even made the cake pops that someone had asked for so I was feeling super accomplished and even managed to watch a few episodes of TVB (OMG, have not done that in… years?) and was in bed by 10. And up at 5:30 and ran 5k’s.

Think I may be a little high at the moment? Naturally, of course.


Anyway, I can’t help but notice this because it is kind of a pet peeve of mine. When people use slang at work. Actually, it isn’t even slang, it is just inappropriate use of the English language. Words and phrases like “you’s” and “heaps busy”  and “but however” and “yeah cause…” or in email and commas and other punctuation is used in incorrect places (yes, I am one of those people who will read something and pause mentally when I see a comma or full stop)… it makes me wonder if people still care about the English language or if teachers are teaching children all the little things that matter (more likely, the child does not bother to learn the correct use of words and grammar). I remember my primary school teachers saying “You’s is not a word! Ewes is the plural for female sheep.” And “A comma is used to separate or group things not just cause you think there needs to be one after every 5 words”. And finally… writing emails like you were actually speaking to someone in conversation… big no!!!

You Might Also Like

0 feedback