Perspective

6/14/2014 06:04:00 pm

My cousin missed out at today's auction. It went 60k+ over their reserve. That would be disappointing and puts missing out on a flash sale in perspective. Chin up and try again! Perhaps these are blessings in disguise.

I attended a webinar at work this week for women only. It was titled "The Power of Negotiation". I've never considered myself to be a huge feminist (at least not in comparison to some of my friends, others that I know) but I do believe in equality and absolutely believe that women are just as capable as men. So why is it that women earn on average for the same role, only 82 cents for every dollar a man earns?

It just so happens that Wendie was gifted the book Lean In by current facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg. And it was a titillating read that I could not put it down. I haven't read a book in so long especially one that I couldn't put down. And everything she has written, her experiences are so down-to-earth and true. She doesn't wrap emotions around into fluffy little bundles and not only does she express her thoughts but also perceptions of women by others. 


Absolutely, we can do just as much as men. Given, we are the only ones that can bear children. But why should that hold us back? If anything, I think the desire to succeed both at home and in the workplace gives women drive and determination.

The typical 9-5 job doesn't really exist anymore with mobile phones, laptops and the internet. So why should the stereotypical stay-at-home-mum / housewife role still exist? I know not everyone understands or accepts this. And to a degree, my father doesn't either... I guess the old school way of thinking is that children should come first, everything else second. But who's to say that you can't have kids (understandably, you won't be at every soccer game, award ceremony or even be home every night for dinner) and climb the jungle gym that is today's career ladder? Society has changed and with it, so should its perception of women and what women can achieve.

You Might Also Like

0 feedback