Continuing on with my foodie inspired break

6/13/2013 05:31:00 pm

Today was even more uneventful than yesterday! Clearly, I am saving up for next week...? Also had no wheels today. :(

So it's becoming routine. Gym, doggie walk, brunch/lunch, bum. By bum i mean do something around the house, usually something in the kitchen! 

Except today dogs and I got locked out of the house for a good while. And all these people were parked on my street today as there was an athletics carnival at the oval so they probably all thought that I was trying to break into someone's house... with 2 dogs. Yeah.

Decided to make my own basil pesto spaghetti for lunch. It was really really good. Fresh basil, olive oil, toasted pinenuts, mushrooms, feta and some leftover brie. I think I'm getting the hang of this whole cafe / restaurant / bistro / bar thing!!!



I'm aging egg whites for macarons (yes, again! Needing some flavour ideas too). And thought it would be fun to make cheat's portuguese tarts with all the leftover yolks. I haven't done this in ages and ages. But you pretty much roll out frozen puff pastry and make a milk based custard, spoon into pastry cases and shove it in the oven on high for about 20 minutes. Not exactly authentic but still tastes good!


And then to be super duper ambitious, I decided to play with the leftover polenta from Wendeh's party. Some inspiration from the Fratelli Fresh menu, and here you have my own rosemary & feta polenta chips. I didn't know that 500g of polenta makes you a hella big batch. So sliced the rest of it up and put it in the freezer. I think it will be fine pan-fried or grilled so will be a good little sidedish with steak or something. The 'or something' suggests it will be in the freezer for a while... they look like little soldiers! They're also really addictive.


I can't believe its almost been a week since unemployment (termed loosely here!). I feel like I am not making the most of it. Well, ok, pretty much I have crossed off ONE thing on my 'to do' list. Time to get a move on...

You Might Also Like

0 feedback