Week 9: Baking in Tokyo
4/10/2016 08:07:00 pm
Lots of fun at work this week! First off, we had our hanami lunch picnic with an impressive turn out. So happy that almost everyone accepted my calendar invite so we had a big group of about 15 people! Unfortunately, the weather was a little gloomy and cool however we all still had a great time and the cookies were yummy! I am so glad that the little oven works. What a machine it is!
Work is ramping up a little bit which is always welcomed. Also had a few calls to connect back with ANZ so that's always great to keep up with what's happening as well.
Some of the Japan team and I were like ninjas in the night or secret squirrels on Thursday evening "breaking and entering" into the boss' office (we had a key...) so that we could cover his office in aluminium foil and balloons and leaving a present on his desk. Mission successful, he was surprised in the morning... too bad I was about 10 minutes late arriving otherwise I could have seen his reaction!
And then, my colleague ingeniously 'set up' an important meeting with the boss only to be accidentally 'double booked' at 3:30 for cake and Happy Birthday in Portugese! Surprise number 2 pulled off! The cake was yummy I was told which was a huge relief considering the electric beaters that I bought from Donki (cheapo ones of course) completely died as I was beating the buttercream so I had to finish beating it with a very weak whisk and a fork!! Luckily, the butter was soft enough to pretty much 'stir' to incorporate some more air in. And instead of mixing the ganache in, I just decided to layer the cake with ganache inbetween and use the buttercream for the outside of the cake.
Friday was the quarterly social event. And wow, it's boisterous, there was a pretty big turn out considering it was open to all GFA team members and I can't believe the time went by so quickly. It was almost 11 PM by the time we wrapped up (and went to Hooters for another drink) and shit, I cannot believe I drank so much. So we were pretty tipsy walking into Hooters and we had another beer and had this crazy freaking idea of ordering the extra-extra-extra hot buffalo wings. BIG MISTAKE TO TRY THIS WHEN YOU ARE DRUNK. My mouth was on fire and seriously, I was so grateful at this moment that the subway stops around midnight and we all had to go home because I went home and vomited and it was like tasting the chilli again... GROSS. Luckily, I had yakult at home and after vomiting and then passing out, I was feeling great in the morning just in time for my Japanese class!
Had another Japanese lesson on Saturday then went to Ikebukuro and Sunshine City to check out Pokemon World. It's kind of small but there are some cute (and reasonably expensive) items for fans. The shopping centre is a nice place to spend maybe 2 or 3 hours and have lunch.
Today, I had a trial baking class with my colleague Elena! She's a member of ABC Cooking School so I got a free lesson and we 'learnt' how to made Strawberry Shortcake. So yummy and we had a great time! Apparently a lot of Japanese locals sign up to classes as it is a great way to spend time and you get to eat what you cook and take home the leftovers. So a lot of people will sign up for a 10 AM lesson as it is a 2 hour lesson and then eat what they made as lunch! Pretty smart and the courses are really healthy and pretty cool. They do Italian, Indian, Vietnamese, Chinese, traditional Japanese, Korean, French... etc. Wish I could understand Japanese fluently so I can take these classes on my own!
This afternoon, I walked around Yaesu... YES!!! I have finally learnt how to navigate the nightmare that is Tokyo Station... Got a few more drugstore products (beginning to think I should probably stop now...) and got a few lighter tops from H&M. It was a good shopping day!
Cherry Blossoms season is finishing and it is just so magical to walk through a street where the petals are falling like snow. So glad I was here to see it. Photos just can't do these pretty flowers justice.



0 feedback