Week 2 has come and gone

11/11/2015 04:36:00 pm

It's Remembrance Day back home. And apparently here, there is something called National Pocky Day. Say what?

Halfway here and halfway home and I can safely that time has flown. Learning to take the small wins and to take every win for what it is because the culture here is so different. I'm not experiencing a culture shock and so many people said I would but I have embraced this with both eyes open and without judgement. Perhaps it is the forewarning that I received that I am not surprised.

Things are slow here. And vastly different. It's a genuine surprise when I run into the odd one or two familiar faces from home.

My mommy came to visit this week after visiting HK. We did a day trip and lots of shopping (window shopping). She agrees that everything is a lot more expensive that the previous times we'd been here. Prices have risen sharply (their consumption tax has gone up 3%) and our dollar's buying power is weaker. That makes things significantly more expensive. The two things that we consider affordable in Australia: Meat and Fruit/Veg are ridiculously overpriced here. We paid almost 600 Yen the other night for 5 chicken wings and for the same price in Australia, we could get 3 whole kg! Similarly, fruit is sold by the piece here and you are probably looking at 400 or 500 yen for an apple or a pear (they are noticeably ginormous though).

We also had to buy another suitcase (LOL). We always seem to be doing this with the exception of Hawaii earlier this year where my sister and I were totally prepared. Suitcase inside a suitcase plus a Country Road bag each for the win. To be fair, there are a few that are old and we should look at throwing out. And digressing, I would love to own my own suitcase collection - we just have a few that are either just too small or just too big. Each to their own but I want my own hand carry and suitcase (needless to say, preferably a brand-y one...).

Then onto my handbag search. I'm going to do it. I even asked my aunt before my mum left HK if it was cheaper to get there and it's not. It is cheaper in Japan by about A$400...  yeah! Now to get paid so I can buy. Huge month of spending and whilst I am excited that December (and Christmas and New Years is coming), I am really not looking forward to getting back to my Sydney office. One crisis at a time... the more I observe, the more that I feel I'm a minority in Gen Y. What has happened to taking accountability and responsibility? And pride in one's work. And here's a good one: how about using your own brain instead of always asking someone else?!

You Might Also Like

0 feedback