We're Alumni

6/12/2015 10:17:00 pm

So so proud today. My little sister has graduated! Yeah! Onwards and upwards and I think I actually enjoyed this ceremony more so than my own. I think it might be the experience I'd gained since graduating - the truly wise words spoken by the Chancellor David Gonski and how I can reflect upon them

"Fight narrowness and be broad in your thinking."

Yes, many graduates specialise in a field and we are absolutely expected to be experts in these areas however I he was referring to the soft skills that are truly developed in the higher education system. We use these in the workforce and to help those around us who have not had the privilege to a University degree. Especially in this day and age where education is paramount. No longer are we in the factory and machinery age but in a century where knowledge and technology run rampant and are viewed as a necessity to succeed. These words really resonated with me today.

It also made me want to go back to a little. Masters? But it would never be the same as my Bachelors. Many times I've wondered what it would be like studying something else or spending more time at Uni or even just learning how to study better in my first two years. Would I have turned out the way I have? Would I be where I am today? Would the same fortunes have come my way?

So I had a lovely day walking around Uni (the drive in was insanely horrendous though) with family, a couple of aunts and uncles and very importantly - Grandma. Yes, she was well enough to go! Many things have changed and some things not so much (like the strange smell when you walk through Mathews and the horrible patterned lecture seats).

And this was followed by an amazing three course lunch at the Devonshire. Pork with crispy pancetta, King Salmon and a Chocolate brownie with milk sorbet. So good. So happy.




You Might Also Like

0 feedback